The musings of a cranky fifty-something on life.

29 December 2008

I hate Mondays

Never my favorite weekday, this Monday seemed more Mondayish than most. Taking a week off will do that to you, I suppose, but this was worse than most. The roads on the site this morning were slicker than lubricated glass. Touching the accelerator was enough to break the rear tires free, and even crawling along, I slid for half a block trying to stop for the turn in to my office trailer. Work was, well, work, and then the wind decided to start kicking up, making for yet another fun driving experience.

There was some good news for the day: we managed to escape Costco for less than $25. I think I may frame that receipt. The nice postal person also delivered one of the 20 round pmags I ordered from Brownells last week, the other being back-ordered.

Tomorrow's another day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The first half of this week is three days of Monday, as far as I'm concerned. My vacation wasn't nearly long enough.

I think everyone should petition for regular two-week holiday vacations in every quarter: second half of December, last week of March/first week of April, first two weeks in July, and two weeks in mid-October. Don't tell me about the logistical nightmare that would entail---we'd all be so much happier with the time off that no one would care!

Anonymous said...

I'm tempted to make some comment about European fondness for <40hr work weeks, but I won't. Truth is, most of us could get by with less than what we have, and shouldn't frown on the idea of slightly lowered productivity in the name of happiness. When sanity prevails, we'll realize we didn't need the extra cash we'd be earning with a few extra hours of work. Too bad we're all so stuck on keeping up with the jones's, in whatever 21st century form that may be, that we forget our priorities. However, I learned what my families priorities were last week when "accomplishments" was democratically elected to be more important than "acts of kindness". Too, bad, cuz that's not how I was raised. What changed? IMHO, the information revolution has one-upped the boob tube in the commercial mission to fill our heads with "wants" instead of "needs". Maybe the world needs a little "hell in a handbasket". Maybe it'd show us what's important again.

CaptainAttila said...

Don't conflate fame with accomplishment. Acts of kindness can indeed be accomplishments, and that's the way you were raised. The questions to ask, I think, are best summed up by Rotary's Four Way Test:

Of the things we think, say, or do:

1. Is it the TRUTH?
2. Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3. Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4. Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?


Of them all, I think the first and last are the most important. One can advance the state of the world without being kind, and forced to make a choice, I think that more important, but given the opportunity, I think one should be kind whenever possible.

About Me

My photo
I'm well on my way to a cantankerous old age waiting for the Singularity.

Attila's Books

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Followers