The musings of a cranky fifty-something on life.

11 January 2009

Sunday Afternoon

Well, I didn't make it to the gun show this weekend. I had wanted to go yesterday, but circumstances conspired against me. Today I went to the range and shot the SKS a bit, as well as my P-01 and AR.

The SKS was pretty grossly out of zero. I wasn't anywhere near the target at 100 yard, so I brought it in to 50 and started to work in in firing three shot groups. The B-Square sighting tool I bought from Brownells worked fine for elevation, and I have that dialed in pretty well now. The windage adjustment portion of the tool leaves a lot to be desired on a Yugo SKS. It just doesn't sit on the sights with enough thread engagement to stay in one place while performing an adjustingment. Very frustrating. I'm off about 4' to the right (2 in. at 50 yds) and will probably have to use a drift punch the next time out to get it where I need it.

The AR was, as always, a blast to shoot. The Trijicon sight has a bit too wide a dot for real good accuracy. It pretty much covers the target at 50 yards, but every shot's where it needs to be if I ever have to engage with it. Some day, I'll spend a bit more time with it and dial it in so the apex of the triangle is the point of aim. For now though, it's perfectly adequate at any "inside the house" range.

I could definitely tell that its been a month since I've shot the P-01. I won't say I was bad, because I wasn't, but my shooting wasn't where it usually is when I've had more practice.

All in all, not a bad day. Oh, and the new 20 round P-Mags are perfect for the range. I might just have to get a couple more.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good day. Ryan just picked up an SR-9. He's only been out once with it so far, and I wasn't able to make it. I'm hoping we can all get out for a few hours again.

Anonymous said...

By the way - just found out Beretta is selling 15-rd cap Cougar mags for $20!. Since that's less than half of what they used to by, I may shortly have a couple arriving in the mail.

About Me

My photo
I'm well on my way to a cantankerous old age waiting for the Singularity.

Attila's Books

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Followers