The musings of a cranky fifty-something on life.

28 February 2009

New Toy


My new-to-me milsurp CZ-82 arrived last night from the good folks at AIM Surplus via UPS, and after a quick clean and lube before bedtime it was read for its first range trip today. Ammunition of any kind for almost any caliber is scarce right now, but I was able to find a box of American Eagle 9x18 at Sportsman's Warehouse, so all was ready.

Today wasn't the greatest day for hitting the range, cold and windy to the point that Mrs. Attila spent more time in the range shack soaking up heat from the wood stove than shooting, but I was on a mission and soldiered on.

Shooting from about ten yards it didn't take long to discover that the pistol was shooting well below point of aim. Once I figured out where it was going, it was easy to adjust my sight picture accordingly and start producing a nice group in the bull. I've never shot anything in 9x18 before, so the lack of recoil actually came as something of a surprise. That, coupled with this being a steel pistol makes for very little muzzle flip, and consequent quick return to target, which I liked. A lot. The trigger was very smooth, but not very crisp. As expected, shooting DA gives you a long pull, stacking a little before breaking. SA has about an eighth inch takeup before breaking, and the break itself is more a "rapid roll-off" than a crisp 1911 type break. I didn't find it objectionable, just a little different from what I'm used to.

Overall, my impression is very favorable. It's a downright fun pistol to shoot. In size, it's almost the same dimensionally as my P-01, but seems smaller because it lacks the former's rail. I paid for the "hand-select" option from AIM, and this example is in very nice shape with only a touch of holster wear at the muzzle end of the slide. (Much nicer than the one pictured.) The current crop of imports seems to be a batch of police weapons and mine came with a very nice duty holster and mag pouch. Sportsman's Guide has a batch of Czech import surplus shoulder holsters which appear to be made for this handgun at a very attractive price. So, for well under $300 shipped, I've got a nice rig suitable for either open or concealed carry. Will I carry it every day? No, I'm much too attached to my P-01 and its more powerful 9x19 round, but I do see myself using it when I want to conceal under a jacket in a shoulder rig, or for use as a loaner/teaching pistol for friends and family new to shooting. A use, btw, for which I think it would be nearly ideal. The only fly in that particular ointment is that because it has a blowback action, the recoil spring is rather stout, and someone with weaker hands might have difficulty operating it.

Bottom line: I'm a happy camper.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm well on my way to a cantankerous old age waiting for the Singularity.

Attila's Books

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Followers