The musings of a cranky fifty-something on life.

01 May 2009

P-64 Project

Last week I replaced the mainspring on the P-64 and took it shooting. Wow, it's actually got a half-way decent double-action trigger pull now. The single action pull is quite nice now.

Today, I replaced the firing pin spring and the recoil spring with heavier models. The recoil spring is now a 22 pound model from Wolff along with the matched firing pin spring. I may get it out for another spin this weekend, but my main goal is to begin rebluing. I've watched the Brownell's cold bluing video and have the right products on hand to get the job done. I've chosen to use steel wool to apply the finish, which should give me a very nice satin finish similar to this. In fact, when my new grips arrive, it should look VERY similar to that photo.

So far, I've really enjoyed my first foray into home gunsmithing. I have, however, developed a dislike of small springs which try to launch even smaller parts into the stratosphere.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm well on my way to a cantankerous old age waiting for the Singularity.

Attila's Books

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Followers