The musings of a cranky fifty-something on life.

25 May 2009

Catch Up

Things have been a bit busy around Attila's yurt lately. Number two son was married a week ago, and his older brother has been home on leave. Between that and the general pace of events in the world, I just haven't had much time to post.

I'm hoping to get to the range again today. Ammunition supplies are opening up a little bit more, and I've been able to find enough for a fair practice session. I shot a little yesterday with my P-64 and XD-40, but wasn't very happy with my performance. I discovered a long time ago that if I don't practice a physical skill at least every two weeks, I start to lose my proficiency, and it'd been well over a month since I've been to the range. While I hit the target every time, the results really weren't pretty. So, back I go this afternoon for a bit more practice. I think I'll take along the AR too.

One thing that did go well yesterday was shooting my "new" Mosin-Nagant M44. There was a gun show in Yakima Saturday, and I went over looking specifically for an M44. There was exactly one in the building, but it was/is in very nice shape (an Izzy built in 1946) with a nice stock, and crisp rifling. It was marked $235, but I got it for $200. I've seen much worse going for $150 on gun broker these days, so overall, I'm happy with the deal. Anyway, I took it along yesterday and found that I've got a very nice shooter. After a little bit of practice on my part, I was able to consistently hit the 250 yd gong, and shifting the sights, was able to hit the 450 yd gong as well. Given my lousy rifle skills (one of the reasons I wanted to pick up a handy, cheap to shoot piece in the first place) I feel pretty good about it.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm well on my way to a cantankerous old age waiting for the Singularity.

Attila's Books

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Followers