The musings of a cranky fifty-something on life.

16 February 2007

Mourning

The mood in the yurt is distinctly morose these days. We had a minor accident with our '95 Subaru wagon a couple weeks ago, and our insurance company has decided to total the car. We've made 330,000 miles of memories with it, and it almost feels like we're putting down a family pet.

We've owned cars longer, but never put as many miles on one as we have this, and I can safely say that it's been our overall favorite. It's had two engines and two transmissions, but has been as reliable as anyone could hope. I've been trying to eke out as much life from it as possible, much to the chagrin of my mechanics, who are tired of working on it. While I'd love to give them the chance to work on a mid-life crisis Corvette, financially that's just not in the cards for a few years.

I've been looking at cars for a while, but don't have deep enough reserves on hand to pay cash, and not enough cash flow to feel comfortable with a loan. I should admit, that I'm picky about what I drive, and can't see spending less than $10k. The cars that I'd prefer (think roadster) are hard to come by under $20.

Mrs. Attila and I had a talk about it yesterday, and are going to embark on a grand experiment, trying to get by with one vehicle. My only hope is that we can make it last long enough to get some cash in the bank again. In the meantime, we mourn the passing of our Subie.

About Me

My photo
I'm well on my way to a cantankerous old age waiting for the Singularity.

Attila's Books

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Followers